Contributor's Corner: Drink Pairings
During the dawn of Viddy Well, we asked each interested contributor to fill out the same questionnaire. The questions spanned from grave to goofy, but the replies were nearly always unexpected. This week we'll take a look at the following question:
Pair a cocktail, beer, or wine that aligns with the following films:
- A Clockwork Orange:
- Silence of the Lambs:
- Die Hard:
- Boogie Nights:
I don’t drink, so this question is impossible unless I just make shit up, which I haven't done since elementary school, and so I'm refusing to acknowledge the question...
- A Clockwork Orange: Stout, condensed milk, honey, dash of nutmeg and bitters slashed on top (lookin' bloody), served in a highball glass (add bourbon if u nasty and into ultraviolence).
- Silence of the Lambs: Chianti, sprite, cherry vodka and ice, served with a garnish of a cherry (must have skin peeled off). Also, the drink is delivered in a basket, and while you drink it, you tuck your junk and ask your friends if they'd fuck you.
- Die Hard: Jameson, sour mash, spiced rum, brandy, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla ice cream, with crushed iced, served with a cinnamon stick in a broken glass.
- Boogie Nights: Aged rum, bitters, honey syrup, ice, served with a smoked sausage in the glass.
- A Clockwork Orange: Milk punch w/bourbon. The hack bit would be to serve a cocktail with orange, but seeing as how they’re nonexistent in the actual film… why not a cocktail based on something thats quite the motif…milk. Lacking any “vellocet or sythemesc” to dab into the white good stuff, we’ll stick to bourbon. Maybe some nutmeg and shit on the top. A drink that looks innocent and sweet on the outside, but on in the inside is actually… well you get it.
- Silence of the Lambs: I don’t know much about wine, but this seems thematically appropriate. 4-5 small glasses. All reds. Gradually increase the potency as Clarice’s journey ebbs and twists, delving deeper. End with a strong Chianti. Fava beans and liver not provided.
- Die Hard: Glass of Champagne + whiskey neat. This movie is all about a party turning into a disaster. Sip your sparkling wine while McClane is introduced around, then when Gruber and his comrades take over, switch to neat whiskey. A good Dickel or something similar.
- Boogie Nights: Strong margarita. Ideally, with patron and a little coconut water. Despite the infamous scene with John C. Reilly, I’d serve it on the rocks in a solo cup or mason jar. This movie is a party (even when the party goes awry), so I’d want to feel like I was at a cookout or a summer get-together of some kind.
- A Clockwork Orange: White Russian Milk bar with tit milk.
- Silence of the Lambs: Chianti b/c it's Hannibal's fave wine, but you put a moth on top, like in the glass.
- Die Hard: Spiked 'nog b/c it's Xmas. Garnish with bullets.
- Boogie Nights: Vodka Red Bulls, unless you have cocaine. In which case, use that.
- A Clockwork Orange: Milk and LSD...
- Silence of the Lambs: Prison wine, and it has to be made in the toilet or else it's not real prison wine.
- Die Hard: Coca Cola with small gobs of Ellis's brain.
- Boogie Nights: Rum'chata stirred with Dirk's rubber weiner.
- A Clockwork Orange: A variation on the Harvey Wallbanger; 100 proof vodka, Galliano Anise liqueur, and orange juice, made slightly bloody with a bit of cherry syrup, garnished with a orange slice.
- Silence of the Lambs: Really good $50 bottle of Chianti, served in a lamb's skull with a few remnants of brain still stuck to the dome.
- Die Hard: Flaming Dr. Pepper shots to match the action.
- Boogie Nights: A variation on the Sex on the Beach; tequila, peach schnapps, Gran Marnier, orange juice, and cranberry juice.
What do you think? What are your drink pairings? We want to know. Share your thoughts and feelings in the comments section below, and, as always, remember to viddy well!